NCSU Libraries

Houses in Biltmore Village

Biltmore Village (Asheville, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Houses in Biltmore Village
Topics:
Forestry
Subjects:
Manors
Houses
Item identifier:
schenck-house_nd_img3_2
Description:
This is a photograph of some houses in Biltmore Village. "In Biltmore Village"
Genre:
Photographs
Names:

Location:
Biltmore (Asheville, N.C.)
Digital Project:
Manuscript Collections

Building:

Provenance note:
The village previously existed as Best, or Asheville Junction, until George Vanderbilt bought the town and created a planned village for workers at his estate.
Architectural note:
Many of the structures in the village have Tudoresque elements or follow Colonial Revival architectural styles.
Historical note:
The village included residential structures, All Souls Cathedral, the railroad depot, and estate offices, as well as a post office, hospital, and shops. The village was sold soon after Vanderbilt's death in 1914.
Location:
Asheville (N.C.)
Subjects:
Buildings
Planned communities
Industrial housing
Architecture, Tudor
Colonial revival (Architecture)
Railroad stations
Multiple dwellings
Cathedrals
Religious buildings
Post offices
Hospitals
Stores & shops
Stucco
Pebble dash
Village communities
Office buildings
Latitude, Longitude:
35.532827, -82.528025

✓ Give us feedback