- Thompson Theater
Campus and Town
- Original Format:
- Item identifier:
- Funkhouser, Edward T. more info on Funkhouser, Edward T. (Edward Truman), 1946-
- Created Date:
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Edward T. Funkhouser Photographs, 2001-2016 (MC00336) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
In Copyright - Non-Commercial Use Permitted
For more information:
Building: North Carolina State University, Frank Thompson Theatre -- Thompson Gymnasium (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Jenson Dr.
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- In 1963 after renovations, the Thompson Gymnasium emerged as the Thompson Theater. Originally, the gymnasium was intended to establish a routine physical fitness schedule for students, since military drills were no longer required after World War I. Thompson Gymnasium became the first indoor athletic facility complete with two gyms, an indoor swimming pool, and an elevated indoor track. It also became the center for intercollegiate games. However, when Reynolds Coliseum took over the role of basketball facility, it left the classic building, with its urns and other ornamental architecture, open for the dramatic arts.
College buildings -- North Carolina
State universities and colleges -- North Carolina
Universities and colleges
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7827, -78.666901