- Interior, Spencer Shops, Spencer, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Color slides
- Item identifier:
- Buchman, Tim more info on Buchman, Tim
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Tim Buchman Photographs, 1988-1998 (MC00583) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Southern Railway Company, first owner
- Architectural note:
- The machine shop, roundhouse, and offices were constructed in 1896. The Back Shop was added in 1904 to 1905 and in 1924 a second roundhouse was constructed. The 1896 machine shop was demolished in 1960.
- Historical note:
- The shops were named for company official Samuel Spencer. In the railroad heyday, Spencer was the largest heavy repair facility in the Southern system. The collective shops are listed as a site on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places
Stores & shops