View, Lenoir High School, Lenoir, Caldwell County, North Carolina
Lenoir High School (Lenoir, N.C.)
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- View, Lenoir High School, Lenoir, Caldwell County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Building: Lenoir High School (Lenoir, Caldwell County, North Carolina)
- Benton and Benton, architects more info on Benton and Benton, architects
- Benton, Charles C., Sr., circa 1887-1960 more info on Benton, Charles C., Sr., circa 1887-1960
- Benton, Frank W., 1883-1960 more info on Benton, Frank W., 1883-1960
- Stout, Joe W. more info on Stout, Joe W., builder
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Lenoir High School was designed by the architects Benton & Benton of Wilson, N.C.
- Architectural note:
- The two-story brick structure typifies the style of early 20th century public high schools. The facade is broken by pavilions at the center and the ends, and the red brick is accented with classical stone detailing.
- Historical note:
- The school became famous for the quality of its Lenoir High School Band, which, under the leadership of Capt. James C. Harper, went on to win many state and national contests. In 1977, the school was converted to residential use. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
High school buildings
National Register of Historic Places