NCSU Libraries

West elevation, Weldon Corn Mill, Weldon, North Carolina

Weldon Corn Mill (Weldon, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
West elevation, Weldon Corn Mill, Weldon, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Elevations (Building divisions)
Original Format:
Measured drawings
Extent:
scale: 3/16 in. = 1 ft.; 483mm x 610mm
Item identifier:
bh028716208
Delineator:
Freeman, Ben C. more info on Freeman, Ben C. 
Delineator:
Watkins, Harry C. more info on Watkins, Harry C. 
Created Date:
Description:
16 of 21
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Location:
Weldon (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Collection:
Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Weldon Corn Mill (Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina)

Structural engineer:
more info on Fulton, Hamilton, civil engineer 
Built:
Community:
Weldon
State:
North Carolina
Historical note:
Both the mill and its powerhouse are associated with the Roanoke Navigation Canal system, which was originally constructed to connect the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, though this was never fulfilled. Railroad competition thwarted the use of the canal, and it was not employed again until the 1890s when it was reconstructed to generate power for the Weldon Corn Mill and other factories. The power house was constructed in 1901. The mill was originally part of a complex including a grain elevator, a cottonseed oil mill, and a cotton gin. In 1933, the mill was bought by the community of Weldon and converted into a community recreation center.
Location:
Weldon (N.C.)
Subjects:
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
Canals
Community centers
Corn -- Milling
Cotton gins and ginning
Cottonseed
Cottonseed oil
Factories
Grain elevators
Historic buildings
Historic sites
Industrial buildings
Mills and mill-work
National Register of Historic Places
Powerhouses
Recreation centers
Water-power