NCSU Libraries

First floor plan, St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington, North Carolina

St. James Episcopal Church (Wilmington, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
First floor plan, St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Church buildings
Floor plans
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Original Format:
Measured drawings
Extent:
scale: 1/8 in. = 1 ft.; 458mm x 610mm
Item identifier:
bh009201101
Delineator:
Gray, Robert J., Jr. more info on Gray, Robert J., Jr. 
Delineator:
Peterson, Jesse J., Jr. more info on Peterson, Jesse J., Jr. 
Created Date:
Description:
1 of 4
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Collection:
Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Saint James Episcopal Church (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)

Provenance note:
Episcopalian congregation established in 1729, first owner.
Architectural note:
Henry Dudley designed the truss roof of 1871 and the chancel and transept of 1885. Hobart Upjohn added the great hall in 1923.
Historical note:
The church is the state's first academic use of the Gothic Revival, which helped promote the style in the state. The building is the oldest church in Wilmington that is still in continual use. The church lies within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The vaults date to the eighteenth century.
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Subjects:
Architecture, Colonial
Buildings -- Additions
Cemeteries
Chancels
Church buildings
Episcopalians
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Grave markers
Graves
Historic buildings
Religious buildings
Roof trusses
Tombs
Transepts
Vaults (Tomb spaces)

Landscape: Wilmington Historic District (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)