- View, Round House, Wilson, Wilson County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- 5 x 7 inches
- Item identifier:
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- 1202 Nash St
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- The Oliver Nestus Freeman Round House is a museum featuring the artifacts that depict the culture and contributions of African Americans to the history and development of Wilson. The house was built in 1946 by Freeman who was a noted local black stone mason. He built the Freeman residence and other houses to help alleviate the housing shortage for GI's returning from the war.
- Architectural note:
- Freeman built the round house that is said to be made of stone. The house is actually built of variety of materials including bottles, tree sapplings, and string.
African Americans -- History
Housing, Single family