NCSU Libraries

Aerial view of NC State Central Campus

D. H. Hill Library, NCSU (Raleigh, N.C.)
Polk Hall, NCSU (Raleigh, N.C.)
Gardner Hall, NCSU (Raleigh, N.C.)
Scott Hall, NCSU (Raleigh, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Aerial view of NC State Central Campus
Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
Item identifier:
ua100_099-002-cb0002_053-16900-002
Created Date:
Description:
Central Campus: Quadrangle approximately bounded by, Library, Polk Hall, Scott Hall, and Gardner
Genre:
Photographs
Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs

Building: North Carolina State University, D. H. Hill Library (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Architect:
more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) 
Street:
4700 Hillsborough Street
Community:
Raleigh
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
27606
Historical note:
D. H. Hill Library is named for Daniel Harvey Hill, Jr. (1859-1924), an English professor at North Carolina State University and one of the college’s first five faculty members. He was president of the University from 1908-1916. The Library was built in four stages, the east wing first in 1953, the Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union or west wing second in 1954, the old book stack tower third in 1971, and the new book stack tower fourth in 1990. In 2007, a major renovation of the east wing of the library was completed. D. H. Hill Library is the main library of the NCSU Libraries system, which is composed of five library facilities.
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Subjects:
Libraries
Latitude, Longitude:
35.787601, -78.669998

Building: North Carolina State University, Leonidas LaFayette Polk Hall (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Architect:
more info on Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949 
Built:
Community:
Raleigh
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
26707
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Subjects:
Lecture halls
Universities and colleges
Latitude, Longitude:
35.786098, -78.669899

Building: North Carolina State University, O. Max Gardner Hall (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Built:
Street:
Deriex
Community:
Raleigh
State:
NC
Zip:
27607
Provenance note:
Gardner Hall opened when NC State began to recognize Biology as a highly significant teaching and research discipline. Since then, the building has been expanded to match the rapidly increased numbers of students and faculty that have joined the interdisciplinary program. The building is named after O. Max Gardner (1882-1947), provider of the prestigious award by that name which is granted for "outstanding service to mankind." At only 16, Gardner had fought in the Spanish-American War. During his undergraduate years at NC State, Gardner was active in campus politics. After graduating, he was elected to State Senate, to speaker pro tem, to lieutenant governor, and finally to governor. He served as Undersecretary to U.S. Treasury for President Roosevelt, and as an unofficial advisor, offered many of the ideas for the Fireside Chats. Gardner died shortly before his appointment began for "loafing around the throne," as he called it, as ambassador to England. He had received an honorary doctorate of law from NC State in 1932.
Historical note:
The nearly 100,000 gross square foot South Gardner Hall addition was added in 1964. The addition underwent a comprehensive renovation in 2009. The addition was then named (effective 11/19/2009) in honor of Joab Langston Thomas, who served as chancellor for NC State University from 1975 to 1981.
Latitude, Longitude:
35.7869, -78.672401

Building: North Carolina State University, Robert Walter Scott Hall (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Community:
Raleigh
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
26707
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Subjects:
Lecture halls
Universities and colleges
Latitude, Longitude:
35.788101, -78.671799