- Thousands of Raleigh area college students marching to Capital grounds
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Transcribed from back: Thousands March To The Capital : About 6,000 demonstrators, mostly students from area Universities and colleges, marched to the State Capitol Friday afternoon to express dissent with a telegram sent by Governor Scot in support of Nixon's move into Cambodia. The line to the Capitol extended for blocks. This picture was taken from the [twentieth] floor of the downtown Holiday Inn as the crowd moved toward the Capitol grounds.
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Student life (UA023.025) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
- Town, Ithiel, 1784-1844 more info on Town, Ithiel, 1784-1844
- Bragg, Thomas, Sr., 1778-1851 more info on Bragg, Thomas, Sr., 1778-1851
- Findlater, Robert, circa 1808-1856 more info on Findlater, Robert, circa 1808-1856
- Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892 more info on Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892
- Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853 more info on Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853
- Puttick, James, circa 1807-circa 1860 more info on Puttick, James, circa 1807-circa 1860
- Consulting architect:
- Strickland, William, 1787-1854 more info on Strickland, William, 1787-1854
- Briggs, John J., 1770-1856 more info on Briggs, John J., 1770-1856
- Drummond, William S. more info on Drummond, William S.
- Percival, William more info on Percival, William
- Paton, David, 1801-1882 more info on Paton, David, 1801-1882
- King, Asa, -1843 more info on King, Asa, -1843
- Murdoch, William, 1811-1893 more info on Murdoch, William, 1811-1893
- Stronach, William, 1803-1857 more info on Stronach, William, 1803-1857
- Birth, William W., 1808- more info on Birth, William W., 1808-
- Briggs, Thomas Henry, Sr., 1821-1886 more info on Briggs, Thomas Henry, Sr., 1821-1886
- Town and Davis, architects more info on Town and Davis, architects
- 1 East Edenton St., Union Square
- Architectural note:
- The structure is one of North Carolina's finest and best preserved Greek Revival public buildings. A sequence of architects were involved in the project. Nichols functioned only in the capacity of architect on this project In 1970, a marble replica of the Canova Washington was added. The building was restored to its orginal paint colors and granitizing in the 1990s.
- Historical note:
- The capitol grounds contain several memorials to wars and political figures erected through twentieth century. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as a North Carolina Historic Site, and as a National Historical Landmark.
Greek revival (Architecture)
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.781257, -78.63894