Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- Chancellor John W. Harrelson at desk
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Transcribed from accompanying material: Colonel J. W. Harrelson, B.E., M.E., L.L.D., Chancellor, chief administrative officer of North Carolina State College, is shown at his desk in Holladay Hall, the institution's oldest building. Chancellor Harrelson directs the far-retching programs of State college in agriculture, engineering, and textile education and research. The college has more than 5,100 students and has a teaching faculty of 441. A building program of approximately $6,440,000 is now in progress on the college's vast campus in Raleigh.
North Carolina State University -- Administration
more info on North Carolina State University -- Administration
North Carolina State College more info on North Carolina State College
Harrelson, J. W. (John William), 1885-1955 more info on Harrelson, J. W. (John William), 1885-1955
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. People (UA023.024) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
Building: North Carolina State University, Alexander Quarles Holladay Hall (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949 more info on Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949
- Carson, Charles L., 1847-1891 more info on Carson, Charles L., 1847-1891
- 1005 Capability Drive
- NC State University
- Historical note:
- Holladay Hall was the first building on campus and, for years, contained virtually the entire college. Prisoners of the state penitentiary built what was then called "Main Building" with bricks donated by the prison. Though it had no electricity or running water, the basement contained laboratories, a kitchen, a dining hall, and a rarity for that era--a gymnasium. Offices, classrooms, and a library of books donated by professors were located on the first floor. A total of 72 students lived on the second and third floors, paying a tuition of $130 per year, which could be reduced for students who swept floors, made fires, and waited tables at seven cents an hour. The building, of Romanesque revival design and with an exceptionally beautiful hallway, has been designated as a historic site by the City Council of Raleigh.
- Provenance note:
- In 1915, the building was named Holladay Hall in honor of Alexander Quarles Holladay, NC State's first president. Holladay originally applied to NC State (then called the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts) as an English professor, but was offered the presidency instead. He had studied languages, moral philosophy and law at the University of Virginia and the University of Berlin before fighting in the Civil War as an aid to General Bragg. Holladay was president of the Stonewall Jackson Institute as well as the Florida State Agricultural College at Lake City before he served NC State from 1889-1899.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7855, -78.664001