- Shortleaf pine forest after thinning
Agricultural extension work
Forests and forestry
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Mattoon, Wilbur R. more info on Mattoon, Wilbur R. (Wilbur Reed), 1875-1941
- Created Date:
- Transcribed from back: Shortleaf pine forest on farm of C. M. Icenhour, Alexander County, N. C. Picture made in section under management. This acre of 30 year old pines has been thinned, cutting 12 cords of wood. The 676 trees left scale or measure 50.64 cords, giving a total of 62.64 cords per acre, or an annual growth of 2.09 cords per acre. Prior to thinning as much as 8 to 10 cords had been allowed to go to waste. This is hard to beat as a farm crop. The standing timber will give at least three future harvests. R. W. Graeber, Extension Forester.
Alexander County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Agricultural Extension and Research services (UA023.007) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).