- E. Y. Turner, Darryle Ghent, and Mike Greene with North Carolina Safety Council Award
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Transcribed from enclosed press release: School of Agriculture and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University, Department of Agricultural Communications. For Immediate Release, SPECIAL TO McDOWELL COUNTY PAPERS (with photo); Darryl Ghent and Mike Greene, students at East McDowell Junior High, have received an award from the North Carolina Safety Council. The award was presented April 26 in Raleigh during the Safety Council's annual awards luncheon at McKimmon Center. Ghent and Greene were recognized for planning safety awareness week activities for their fellow students. Events emphasized the pitfalls of using alcohol and drugs, and emphasized safe driving. The two students contacted speakers, lined up exhibits and gathered information they could pass on to fellow students. As a followup Greene and Ghent attended a two-day Students Against Driving Drunk (SADD) workshop, again sharing information with other students in their seventh grade health classes. Their Safety Council Award was sponsored by Carolina Power and Light, Duke Power Company, and North Carolina Power Company. The Safety Council is an incorporated, nonprofit organization, created in 1960 by a group of community leaders, physicians and representatives of public agencies to promote safety programs and activities. The Council's activities are financed by dues received through individual, group and agency memberships.; col cutline: Darryl Ghent, center, and Mike Greene, receive a safety award from E.Y. Turner, representing Carolina Power and Light Company. --30--Jan Christensen--4/26/85
McDowell County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Agricultural Extension and Research services (UA023.007) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).