- Matthew North and J. Wilbert Forbes with North Carolina Safety Council Award
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Transcribed from enclosed press release: School of Agriculture and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University, Department of Agricultural Communications. For Immediate Release, SPECIAL TO ONSLOW COUNTY PAPERS (with photo); Matthew E. North, 107 Estate Dr., Jacksonville, has received an award from the North Carolina Safety Council. The award was presented April 26 in Raleigh during the Safety Council's annual awards luncheon at McKimmon Center. North was cited for making his neighborhood a safer place to live by painting house numbers on the curb with reflective paint. This makes it easier for emergency vehicles to locate addresses. North designed the safety program as part of his Eagle Scout work. He had to get permission from the city to carry out his program and he had to recruit and supervise the volunteers needed to get the job done. North's award was sponsored by Carolina Power and Light, Duke Power Company, and North Carolina Power Company. The Safety Council is an incorporated, nonprofit organization, created in 1960 by a group of community leaders, physicians and representatives of public agencies to promote safety programs and activities. The Council's activities are financed by dues received through individual, group and agency memberships.; col cutline: Matthew North, 107 Estate Dr., Jacksonville, receives a safety award from J. Wilbert Forbes, resident vice president, Norfolk Southern Railway System.; --30--Jan Christensen--4/26/85
Onslow County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Agricultural Extension and Research services (UA023.007) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).