Contact us

Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.

Item information

Title:
The Village
Description:
This photograph shows a birds-eye view of Biltmore Village. "The Village"
Topics:
Forestry
Original Format:
Kallitype
Extent:
3 1/4 x 4 1/4
Item identifier:
schenck-villageview_nd_img1
Names:
Biltmore Estate (Asheville, N.C.) more info on Biltmore Estate (Asheville, N.C.) 
Digital Project:
Manuscript Collections

Landscape: Biltmore Village (Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina)

Provenance note:
The village previously existed as Best, or Asheville Junction, until George Vanderbilt bought the town and created a planned village for workers at his estate.
Architectural note:
Many of the structures in the village have Tudoresque elements or follow Colonial Revival architectural styles.
Historical note:
The village included residential structures, All Souls Cathedral, the railroad depot, and estate offices, as well as a post office, hospital, and shops. The village was sold soon after Vanderbilt's death in 1914.
Location:
Biltmore (Asheville, N.C.)
Subjects:
Historic buildings
Historic sites
National Register of Historic Places
Village communities
Latitude, Longitude:
35.532827, -82.528025