Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Entrance, Elon College West Dorm
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Marquez-Frees, L. more info on Marquez-Frees, L.
- Crampton and Deitrick more info on Crampton and Deitrick
- Created Date:
more info on Elon College
Alamance County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- State Archives of North Carolina
- Division of Archives and History Photograph Collection (State Archives of North Carolina Collection 4.1) held by State Archives of North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Archives.
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- West Dormitory was constructed in 1905 to serve as a residence primarily for women. It had an attached annex that contained the dining hall and men's gymnasium. Its doors opened to students and faculty in the fall term of 1906. The first floor was used as parlors, reception rooms, and rooms for the Dean and other women faculty members; while the second and third floors were occupied by approximately 100 young women students. As construction for West neared completion, modern bathrooms (connected to the new sewerage system) were installed on each floor, and the entire college was supplied with steam heat, running hot and cold water, and electric lights which were first turned on January 1, 1907. West's annex was destroyed by fire on January 17, 1942; however, the main part of West Dormitory was safely protected by parapet walls and fire-safe doors included in the original construction. In 1956, Virginia Hall, a residence for women, was constructed on the site of the old West Dormitory annex and still stands today. West Dormitory was the third building to be built on campus and is presently the oldest building still standing on campus.
- Architectural note:
- West Dormitory is a three-story brick building measuring 158 feet long by 45 feet wide and had an attached two-story annex that was 80 feet long by 40 feet wide.