- Stokes County Courthouse (Danbury Courthouse), Front and Side View
- Original Format:
- Black-and-white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- Created Date:
Stokes County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- State Archives of North Carolina
- Division of Archives and History Photograph Collection (State Archives of North Carolina Collection 4.1) held by State Archives of North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Archives.
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Wheeler, Oliver Duke, 1864-1942 more info on Wheeler, Oliver Duke, 1864-1942
- Wheeler, Runge, and Dickey (Charlotte, N.C.) more info on Wheeler, Runge, and Dickey (Charlotte, N.C.)
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- The Stokes County Courthouse was built in 1904 and stands on the courthouse square in Danbury, North Carolina. Stokes County was formed in 1789 from Surry County. It was named for John Stokes, an American Revolutionary War captain severely wounded when British Colonel Banastre Tarleton's cavalry practically destroyed Col. Abraham Buford's Virginia regiment in the Waxhaws region in 1780. Danbury was founded in 1851 specifically to serve as the new centrally-located county seat after Stokes County was divided in 1849, creating Forsyth County to the south and a smaller Stokes County. Danbury was briefly known as Crawford. The 1904 Courthouse stands on a hill overlooking Main Street. Located on the courthouse grounds are memorials to the war veterans of Stokes County. The building now houses the Stokes County Board of Education.