Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Front Entrance, Durham Life Insurance Building
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Barden, Albert more info on Barden, Albert
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- State Archives of North Carolina
- Division of Archives and History Photograph Collection (State Archives of North Carolina Collection 4.1) held by State Archives of North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Archives.
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- 337 South Salisbury Street
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The building was built for the Durham Life Insurance Co. of Raleigh.
- Architectural note:
- This Art Deco skyscraper features an exterior of limestone, and the lobby features pink marble, polished brass, and mirrors.
- Historical note:
- This building was one of the first in the nation to make use of Willis Carrier's air conditioning system specifically designed for tall buildings, the Conduit Weathermaster System.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7757645048, -78.6403298377