- Wolf Tales recording with Sunshine Spiva and Harvey A. Massey: Women's Center "Politics of Black Hair" Exhibit Opening Reception, 13 February 2018
African American women
- Original Format:
Digital video recording
- Item identifier:
- North Carolina State University. Libraries more info on North Carolina State University. Libraries
- Spiva, Sunshine more info on Spiva, Sunshine
- Massey, Harvey A. more info on Massey, Harvey A.
- Created Date:
- This recording was conducted in the African American Cultural Center Gallery in the Witherspoon Student Center on the campus of North Carolina State University in Raleigh, North Carolina, at the opening reception of the "Politics of Black Hair" exhibit, curated by Angela Gay of the NCSU Women’s Center. Sunshine Spiva (Class of 2021) and Harvey A. Massey (Class of 2019) discuss the importance of taking care of their hair, minimizing harm, and being comfortable with the texture and color of their hair. Both Spiva and Massey talk about pressure from parents to conform and maintain straight or short hairstyles; and the importance of instead choosing healthy ways of styling their hair and presenting themselves. [Preferred citation: Wolf Tales recording with Sunshine Spiva and Harvey A. Massey, 13 February 2018, NCSU Libraries Wolf Tales Recordings, MC 00581, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC]
Oral histories (Document genres)
more info on Spiva, Sunshine
Massey, Harvey A. more info on Massey, Harvey A.
North Carolina State University more info on North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University -- Alumni and alumnae more info on North Carolina State University -- Alumni and alumnae
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- NCSU Libraries Wolf Tales Recordings (MC00581) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).