- Debra Stewart oral history, 1 March 2016
- Original Format:
Digital video recording
- Item identifier:
- Ferris, Virginia L. more info on Ferris, Virginia L.
- Stewart, Debra W., 1943- more info on Stewart, Debra W., 1943-
- Created Date:
- This interview was conducted in Room 4411 of the James B. Hunt Jr. Library at North Carolina State University. In the interview, Dr. Stewart discusses: her childhood and family background; her early education at a school run by the Sisters of St. Joseph; attending Marquette University in Milwaukee, Minnesota; experiencing a shift in her political beliefs while a student at Marquette, and discovering a passion for political science; earning her master’s degree at the University of Maryland; teaching in a United States Army education center in Germany; completing her Ph.D. at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; political activism on campus at UNC Chapel Hill; being hired at NC State University; being the only woman, and first female tenure-track faculty member, in her department; working with students at NC State; taking on administrative leadership roles in the department and in the Graduate School; becoming dean of the Graduate School in 1988; forming the Commission on the Future of Graduate Education at NC State; developing the Graduate Student Support Plan increase funding for graduate students; creating the Graduate School Advisory Board to guide fundraising and curricular development; the value of collaborative leadership; the scarcity of women in higher administration leadership roles during her career; working with Susan Nutter as another early female administrator at NC State; mentors and influences in her career; former NC State chancellors, including Joab Thomas, Bruce Poulton, Larry Monteith, and Mary Anne Cox; and her experiences as President of the Council of Graduate Schools.
Stewart, Debra W., 1943-
more info on Stewart, Debra W., 1943-
North Carolina State University more info on North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University. Graduate School more info on North Carolina State University. Graduate School
- Digital Project:
NC State Institutional Histories
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- North Carolina State Oral Histories (MC00449) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International