- Hayne Palmour III oral history, 9 March 2015
Ceramics -- Research
- Original Format:
Digital video recording, sound, color
- Item identifier:
- Ferris, Virginia L. more info on Ferris, Virginia L.
- Palmour, Hayne more info on Palmour, Hayne
- Created Date:
- This interview was conducted at the home of Dr. Hayne Palmour III in Raleigh, North Carolina. In the interview, Dr. Barker discusses: his memories of living in an agricultural area of Idaho as a teenager; his service in the Navy as an orographer; discovering ceramics at a serviceman’s art center while in the Navy; his first job working with the Bureau of Mines in Norris, TN; joining a management training program operated by the US Department of the Interior; working with the American Lava Corporation in Chattanooga, TN; coming to NC State to earn his Ph.D.; working with the Department of Engineering Research at NC State; research on North Carolina olivine; studying as a graduate student under the guidance of Worth Kriegel; the changing names and structure of the department; being transferred to the academic department when the Engineering Research Department became a separate entity titled the Engineering Research Services Division; serving as associate head of the department; teaching; serving on the faculty senate; retiring in 1994; changes in the department and research funding; his son John Palmour’s involvement in the founding of CREE as an alum of NC State; working with other faculty in the department such as Hans Conrad and John Hren; memorable former students; and Dr. Palmour’s interest in studying and collecting pottery and ceramic arts from around the world and throughout history.
Oral histories (Document genres)
Ferris, Virginia L.
more info on Ferris, Virginia L.
North Carolina State University -- History more info on North Carolina State University -- History
Palmour, Hayne more info on Palmour, Hayne
North Carolina State University -- Students -- History more info on North Carolina State University -- Students -- History
North Carolina State University. College of Engineering more info on North Carolina State University. College of Engineering
North Carolina State University -- Administration more info on North Carolina State University -- Administration
North Carolina State University -- Faculty more info on North Carolina State University -- Faculty
- Digital Project:
NC State Institutional Histories
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- North Carolina State Oral Histories (MC00449) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International