- Marvin J. Malecha oral history, 26 October 2015
- Original Format:
Digital video recording
- Item identifier:
- Ferris, Virginia L. more info on Ferris, Virginia L.
- Malecha, Marvin J. more info on Malecha, Marvin J.
- Created Date:
- This interview was conducted in the office of Dean of the College of Design, Marvin J. Malecha, in Brooks Hall at North Carolina State University. In the interview, Malecha discusses: his family’s ancestry in the Czech Republic; growing up in Minnesota; his early interest in drawing; studying architecture at the University of Minnesota under Ralph Rapson; attending graduate school at Harvard while completing an internship at local firm Hugh Stubbins; beginning his career at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, and becoming head of the Department of Architecture at age 29; the modernist legacy of North Carolina State University’s College of Design; becoming dean of the College of Design at NC State in 1994; “design thinking” and leadership as a professor and administrator; designing the chancellor’s residence the Point; stories passed down by alumni and faculty about College of Design founding dean Henry Kamphoefner; the evolution of the College of Design since the 1950s; the renaming of the School of Design to become the College of Design in 2000; establishing the Prague Institute at NC State; contributing his papers to the archives in the Special Collections Research Center; his involvement with and leadership in the American Institute of Architects; and his continuing passion for drawing. [Preferred citation: Interview with Marvin J. Malecha by Virginia Ferris, 26 October 2015, North Carolina State University Oral Histories, MC 00449, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC]
Oral histories (Document genres)
Malecha, Marvin J.
more info on Malecha, Marvin J.
North Carolina State University -- Administration more info on North Carolina State University -- Administration
North Carolina State University -- Faculty more info on North Carolina State University -- Faculty
North Carolina State University. College of Design more info on North Carolina State University. College of Design
- Digital Project:
NC State Institutional Histories
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- North Carolina State Oral Histories (MC00449) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).