- Interview with Irwin Holmes
- Original Format:
Digital video recording
- 2:00:04 hours
- Item identifier:
- Holmes, Irwin R. more info on Holmes, Irwin R., 1939-
- Ferris, Virginia L. more info on Ferris, Virginia L.
- Created Date:
- This interview was conducted in the home of Irwin Holmes in Durham, North Carolina. Holmes discusses his family background; memories of racial segregation in Durham during the 1940s and 1950s; the role of sports in his high school and college experiences; entering North Carolina State University as one of the first African American students to matriculate in 1956; experiences as a student and athlete; playing on the NC State tennis team under Coach Kenfield; and changes in Durham, Raleigh, and NC State since his youth.
Oral histories (Document genres)
Holmes, Irwin R.
more info on Holmes, Irwin R., 1939-
Kenfield, John more info on Kenfield, John
Ferris, Virginia L. more info on Ferris, Virginia L.
North Carolina State University -- History more info on North Carolina State University -- History
- Digital Project:
NC State Institutional Histories
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- North Carolina State Oral Histories (MC00449) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).