- Chimney details, boiler room details
Detail drawings (Drawings)
- Original Format:
- 3/8 in. = 1 ft.; 660mm x 914mm
- Item identifier:
- James, William Russell more info on James, William Russell, 1911-1962
- Created Date:
Design and construction documents
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Northup & O'Brien Architectural Records, 1917-1980 (MC00240) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Lashmit, Luther D. more info on Lashmit, Luther D.
- Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- 2800 Robinhood Road
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The home was built for R. J. Reynolds (tobacconist) and his wife.
- Architectural note:
- Done in the International style, the structure featured both protruding and receding surfaces, balconies, and rounded corners. Thomas Sears served as the project's landscape architect.
- Historical note:
- The house reminded many locals of an ocean liner and was popularly referred to as "The Ship." It was destroyed in 1978 under the direction of Lashmit.
International style (Architecture)
Housing, Single family
Decoration and ornament
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 36.111675, -80.293615