Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- First floor plan
- Original Format:
- 1/16 in. = 1 ft.; 520mm x 865mm
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Floor plans (architectural drawings)
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Northup & O'Brien Architectural Records, 1917-1980 (MC00240) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Lashmit, Luther D. more info on Lashmit, Luther D.
- Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- 2800 Robinhood Road
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The home was built for R. J. Reynolds (tobacconist) and his wife.
- Architectural note:
- Done in the International style, the structure featured both protruding and receding surfaces, balconies, and rounded corners. Thomas Sears served as the project's landscape architect.
- Historical note:
- The house reminded many locals of an ocean liner and was popularly referred to as "The Ship." It was destroyed in 1978 under the direction of Lashmit.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 36.111675, -80.293615