- Second floor plan
- Original Format:
- 1/4 in. = 1 ft.; 483mm x 953mm
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Design and construction documents
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Northup & O'Brien Architectural Records, 1917-1980 (MC00240) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Northup, Willard Close more info on Northup, Willard Close, 1882-1942
- Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- 450 N. Spring Street
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- From Preservation North Carolina Website: Designed by Willard C. Northup in 1919 and built in 1920, the Agnew Hunter Bahnson House is a large, two-story, stuccoed house in the English Country House style, reminiscent of C. F. A. Voysey and the English Arts and Crafts architectural movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Though designed by a different architect from that of Reynolda, the Bahnson house certainly borrowed from the Charles Barton Keen design with its Ludowici-Celadon green tiled roof, austere white-stucco façade, asymmetrical form and unusual fenestration. The interior features a large stair hall with handsome staircase which opens to a large living room with French doors flanking the fireplace that lead to the tiled sunporch. A large dining room with fireplace opens to the butler's pantry, with intact cabinetry, large kitchen and service wing with back stairs. Also on the main floor is a small den with fireplace and library which opens via French doors to the slate terrace. Upstairs are four principal bedrooms, four baths (fixtures have been removed but tile is intact), and twin sleeping porches on the south end. The master bedroom accesses two baths and opens to the sleeping porches and a back-stair area with access to attic, which is finished but not counted in square footage (former servant quarters). Likewise, there is a full basement with numerous rooms used for mechanical systems, storage, etc.
- Historical note:
- When built, the house was part of a long row of large houses along W. Fifth Street, known as "Millionaires Row." In fact, the lot had been the garden and tennis court for the adjacent R. J. Reynolds house, where the Reynolds family lived prior to moving to their country house, Reynolda (c. 1917). The house was in the Bahnson family until the late 1960s when it was given to the Forsyth County Library and was used by them until last year. It has had minimal alterations, however, most bathroom fixtures have been removed and three of the four fireplaces have lost their mantles and have been boarded over. The house has been well-maintained and has a fairly recent four-zone heat pump system. Though no longer a truly residential neighborhood, there is potential to convert the house back to a grand residence or it has a multitude of commercial possibilities. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places." http://go.ncsu.edu/lfagyg, accessed on 2010-12-03.
- Provenance note:
- Designed by Willard C. Northup in 1919 and built in 1920 for Agnew Hunter Bahnson
Colonial revival (Architecture)
Housing, Single family
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 36.098517, -80.253166