- Old Free Expression Tunnel
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
- Item identifier:
- Funkhouser, Edward T. more info on Funkhouser, Edward T. (Edward Truman), 1946-
- Created Date:
- The Free Expression Tunnel first opened in 1939 as a pedestrian tunnel under the railroad tracks connecting North Campus to Central Campus. In the 1960s, the University promoted it as a place for students to graffiti without interference in an effort to cut down on illegal graffiti around campus. The tunnel was renovated in 2005, after several problems with flooding. It continues to serve as a place for NC State students to express themselves freely today.
North Carolina State University
more info on North Carolina State University
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Edward T. Funkhouser Photographs, 2001-2016 (MC00336) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions about copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
In Copyright - Non-Commercial Use Permitted
For more information: