- Reynolds Coliseum, floor repainting
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Item identifier:
- Funkhouser, Edward T. more info on Funkhouser, Edward T. (Edward Truman), 1946-
- Created Date:
- In August of 2005, the floor at Reynolds Coliseum was repainted as part of the renovations that took place following a small fire in the building in May 2005. William Neal Reynolds (1863-1951) Coliseum is named after a top executive and major shareholder in the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in Winston-Salem, N.C., who donated money to the University to supplement professors' salaries. Reynolds niece, Mary donated $100,000 for the completion of the coliseum. William Reynolds was one of R. J. Reynolds's younger brothers. The idea for the coliseum, which replaced Thompson Theatre as the home of the NC State men's basketball team, supposedly came from David Clark. The coliseum was built in 1949. The coliseum was home to the basketball team for nearly 50 years, including two NCAA champion teams. Reynolds Coliseum also provided a venue for large university and city events. Today it houses several NC State athletic teams, as well as NC State's ROTC units. The men's basketball team moved to the RBC Center in 2000.
North Carolina State University
more info on North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University -- Sports more info on North Carolina State University -- Sports
North Carolina State University -- Buildings more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Edward T. Funkhouser Photographs, 2001-2016 (MC00336) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions about copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Building: North Carolina State University, William Neal Reynolds Coliseum (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992 more info on Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992
- 2701 Sullivan Drive
- North Carolina
- General note:
- Completed in 1949, the building with seating for 14,000 people is named after William Neal Reynolds, president of the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company founded by his brother. Construction of Reynolds Coliseum was originally proposed by David Clark after 5,000 people from all over North Carolina were rained out of a Farmers' Week meeting in 1940. The coliseum was home to the basketball team for nearly 50 years, including two NCAA champion teams. Reynolds Coliseum also provides a venue for large university and city events. Today it houses several NC State athletic teams, as well as NC State's ROTC units. The men’s basketball team moved to the RBC Center in 2000.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.783501, -78.669899