NCSU Libraries

Window air conditioning units in Gardner Hall

Gardner Hall, NCSU (Raleigh, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Window air conditioning units in Gardner Hall
Topics:
Campus and Town
Subjects:
Universities and colleges
Item identifier:
funk_aC0008
Photographer:
Created Date:
circa
Description:
Gardner Hall is named for O. Max Gardner (1882-1947). Gardner was elected governor of North Carolina in 1928. He proposed the three college system, linking the State College (now NC State), the North Carolina Women's College (now UNC at Greensboro) and the University of North Carolina (now UNC at Chapel Hill) into a consolidated University of North Carolina system. The building was constructed in 1952.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Photographs
Names:



Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Digital Project:
Funkhouser Photographs

Building:

Built:
Street:
Deriex
Community:
Raleigh
State:
NC
Zip:
27607
Provenance note:
Gardner Hall opened when NC State began to recognize Biology as a highly significant teaching and research discipline. Since then, the building has been expanded to match the rapidly increased numbers of students and faculty that have joined the interdisciplinary program. The building is named after O. Max Gardner (1882-1947), provider of the prestigious award by that name which is granted for "outstanding service to mankind." At only 16, Gardner had fought in the Spanish-American War. During his undergraduate years at NC State, Gardner was active in campus politics. After graduating, he was elected to State Senate, to speaker pro tem, to lieutenant governor, and finally to governor. He served as Undersecretary to U.S. Treasury for President Roosevelt, and as an unofficial advisor, offered many of the ideas for the Fireside Chats. Gardner died shortly before his appointment began for "loafing around the throne," as he called it, as ambassador to England. He had received an honorary doctorate of law from NC State in 1932.
Historical note:
The nearly 100,000 gross square foot South Gardner Hall addition was added in 1964. The addition underwent a comprehensive renovation in 2009. The addition was then named (effective 11/19/2009) in honor of Joab Langston Thomas, who served as chancellor for NC State University from 1975 to 1981.
Latitude, Longitude:
35.7869, -78.672401

✓ Give us feedback