- Vaults, St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina
North Carolina History
- Item identifier:
- Buchman, Tim more info on Buchman, Tim
- Created Date:
- Historical Note: The vaults date to the eighteenth century.
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Tim Buchman Photographs, 1988-1998 (MC00583) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Norris, John S., 1804-1876 more info on Norris, John S., 1804-1876
- Wood Brothers more info on Wood Brothers
- Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887 more info on Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Episcopalian congregation established in 1729, first owner.
- Architectural note:
- Henry Dudley designed the truss roof of 1871 and the chancel and transept of 1885. Hobart Upjohn added the great hall in 1923. The church is the state's first academic use of the Gothic Revival, which helped promote the style in the state.
- Historical note:
- The building is the oldest church in Wilmington that is still in continual use. The church lies within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Gothic revival (Architecture)