NCSU Libraries

View, Longstreet Presbyterian Church, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Longstreet Presbyterian Church (Fort Bragg, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
View, Longstreet Presbyterian Church, Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Greek revival (Architecture)
Church buildings
Item identifier:
buch0314
Photographer:
Created Date:
to
Created Date:
Description:
Provenance: Highland Scots Presbyterian congregation organized in 1758, first owner | Architectural Note: Unlike the majority of Presbyterian churches in the state, the pulpit of the building is located against the front wall, with the galleries carried around the sanctuary. | Historical Note: The building is considered among the most interesting and best preserved of eastern North Carolina's Scots Presbyterian country churches. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Photographs
Location:
Fort Bragg (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Tim Buchman Photographs, 1988-1998 (MC00583) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Built:
Community:
Fort Bragg
State:
NC
Zip:
28307
Provenance note:
Highland Scots Presbyterian congregation organized in 1758 was the first owner.
Historical note:
The church was named after the local portion of Yadkin Road, referred to in the period as the "Long Street". Two churches were built on the same parcel of land prior to the third, and current, structure. The building is considered to be among the most interesting and best preserved of the area's important collection of Scots Presbyterian country churches. The Army bought the land in 1923, and has been inactive ever since as a place of worship. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
General note:
The date is approximate.
Location:
Fort Bragg (N.C.)
Subjects:
Church buildings
Religious buildings
National Register of Historic Places
Historic buildings
Latitude, Longitude:
35.135575, -78.997354

✓ Give us feedback