Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- View, Calvary Episcopal Church, Tarboro, North Carolina
Gothic revival (Architecture)
- Original Format:
- Item identifier:
- Buchman, Tim more info on Buchman, Tim
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Tim Buchman Photographs, 1988-1998 (MC00583) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Percival, William more info on Percival, William
- Coats, Thomas H. more info on Coats, Thomas H.
- Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949 more info on Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Reverend Joseph Blount Cheshire and his Episcopalian congregation established in 1833 were the first owners
- Architectural note:
- The construction of the church was halted during the Civil War and was completed during Reconstruction. Hobart Upjohn designed the Parish House, which was built from 1922 to 1923, and the Cloister, which was added in 1926.
- Historical note:
- William Percival's watercolor perspective drawing of Calvary Episcopal Church is the only example of his expert drawing skills known to survive. The building is considered one of the finest antebellum Gothic Revival churches in the state, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places