- View, Cooleemee Plantation, Davie, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Color slides
- Item identifier:
- Buchman, Tim more info on Buchman, Tim
- Created Date:
Davie County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Tim Buchman Photographs, 1988-1998 (MC00583) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Conrad and Williams (Davidson County, N.C.) more info on Conrad and Williams (Davidson County, N.C.)
- Ranlett, William H. more info on Ranlett, William H.
- U. S. Route 64, Mocksville Vicinity
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The house was built for planter Peter W. Hairston and Columbia Stuart Hairston (wife of General J.E.B. Stuart).
- Architectural note:
- The house's design came from the Anglo-Grecian Villa plans from William Ranlett's "The Architect" patternbook. The ornamental woodwork over doors and elsewhere in the house was brought in from Philadelphia. Around 1915 two bathrooms were added, and the north porch was converted into a kitchen. Foundation is composed of rubble stone, walls composed of brick with stucco on exterior and plaster on interior, and floors are tongue-and-groove yellow pine. The ceilings are plaster on wood lath, and the roof is standing seam sheet metal over original shingle.
- Historical note:
- The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and as a National Historical Landmark.
Housing, Single family
National Register of Historic Places
National Historic Landmarks
Architecture -- English influences
Decoration and ornament
Turning (Lathe work)
Buildings -- Additions
Architecture, Greek -- Influence
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.8534, -80.41
- External Resources:
Cooleemee Plantation Wikipedia Entry