- Exterior, Fort Macon, Carteret County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Color slides
- Item identifier:
- Buchman, Tim more info on Buchman, Tim
- Created Date:
Carteret County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Tim Buchman Photographs, 1988-1998 (MC00583) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Eliason, William Alexander, d. 1839 more info on Eliason, William Alexander, d. 1839
- Bernard, Simon more info on Bernard, Simon, 1779-1839
- Poussin, Guillaume Tell more info on Poussin, Guillaume Tell, 1794-1876
- Fort Macon Rd
- Atlantic Beach
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- The fort's woodwork details were executed in the Greek Revival style.
- Historical note:
- The plans for Fort Macon were completed in 1821 by Bernard and Poussin, but later construction was directed by Eliason. The fort is considered North Carolina's greatest nineteenth century fortification, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Historical note:
- The fort served at one time as a prison, between 1867-1876.
Atlantic Beach (N.C.)
Greek revival (Architecture)
National Register of Historic Places
North Carolina -- History
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 34.697952, -76.67834
- External Resources:
North Carolina State Parks: Fort Macon