- View, Alexander Dickson House and Office, Hillsborough, Orange County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- This structure, dating from the late eighteenth century, exhibits features of the earliest Piedmont architecture, including a simple Georgian finish and brick chimney with both English-bond and Flemish-bond brickwork. The one-room freestanding office also on the property dates from the mid-nineteenth century.
- Historical note:
- The house and office were moved from their original location on the southwest edge of Hillsborough in 1983. The house was documented as the headquarters for General Joseph E. Johnston during negotiations with General William T. Sherman.
English bond (masonry technique)
Flemish bond (Masonry technique)
Housing, Single family
Moving of buildings, bridges, etc.
North Carolina -- History
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865