- View, Pilot Mills, Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina
Mills and mill-work
- Original Format:
- Color slides
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Zachary and Zachary more info on Zachary and Zachary
- Biberstein, Richard C., 1859-1931 more info on Biberstein, Richard C., 1859-1931
- 1101-1111 Hanes Street
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The mill was founded by James N. and W. H. Williamson. Pilot Cotton Mills first building was built in 1894. Additions were made in 1903, 1910, and 1920. Biberstein designed the 1910 addition.
- Architectural note:
- The buildings have an impressive entrance, loblolly pine floors and ceilings, and nine foot, double hung sash windows.
- Historical note:
- Pilot Cotton Mills was renovated in 1999 to save it from demolition and was chosen as the home of Raleigh Charter High School. The mill was rebuilt for other uses and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mills and mill-work
National Register of Historic Places
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
Historic buildings -- Remodeling
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
Buildings -- Additions
Sashes (Window components)
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.794275, -78.637386