Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Side view, North Carolina State Capitol, Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina
Greek revival (Architecture)
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Town, Ithiel, 1784-1844 more info on Town, Ithiel, 1784-1844
- Bragg, Thomas, Sr., 1778-1851 more info on Bragg, Thomas, Sr., 1778-1851
- Findlater, Robert, circa 1808-1856 more info on Findlater, Robert, circa 1808-1856
- Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892 more info on Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892
- Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853 more info on Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853
- Puttick, James, circa 1807-circa 1860 more info on Puttick, James, circa 1807-circa 1860
- Consulting architect:
- Strickland, William, 1787-1854 more info on Strickland, William, 1787-1854
- Briggs, John J., 1770-1856 more info on Briggs, John J., 1770-1856
- Drummond, William S. more info on Drummond, William S.
- Percival, William more info on Percival, William
- Paton, David, 1801-1882 more info on Paton, David, 1801-1882
- King, Asa, -1843 more info on King, Asa, -1843
- Murdoch, William, 1811-1893 more info on Murdoch, William, 1811-1893
- Stronach, William, 1803-1857 more info on Stronach, William, 1803-1857
- Birth, William W., 1808- more info on Birth, William W., 1808-
- Briggs, Thomas Henry, Sr., 1821-1886 more info on Briggs, Thomas Henry, Sr., 1821-1886
- Town and Davis, architects more info on Town and Davis, architects
- Marye, P. Thornton (Philip Thornton), 1872-1935 more info on Marye, P. Thornton (Philip Thornton), 1872-1935
- Simpson, Frank B., 1883-1966 more info on Simpson, Frank B., 1883-1966
- 1 East Edenton St., Union Square
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- The structure is one of North Carolina's finest and best preserved Greek Revival public buildings. A sequence of architects were involved in the project. Nichols functioned only in the capacity of architect on this project. In 1970, a marble replica of the Canova Washington was added. The building was restored to its orginal paint colors and granitizing in the 1990s.
- Historical note:
- The capitol grounds contain several memorials to wars and political figures erected through twentieth century. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as a North Carolina Historic Site, and as a National Historical Landmark.
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
Greek revival (Architecture)
National Historic Landmarks
National Register of Historic Places
North Carolina -- History
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.781257, -78.63894