Provenance: Glencoe Mill was acquired by E.M. Holt and sons James and William in 1878. Between 1880 and 1883, they extended the structure to its current form and constructed the mill village to house their workers. The mill was later run by relatives in the Green family until its closure in 1954. | Architectural Note: The 35 traditional houses that comprise Glencoe Mill Village exemplify rural forms of industrial housing. The two-story frame houses have two-room plans, are roofed in tin, and are complete with front porches. | Historical Note: After a period of disuse, the village has now been preserved. Glencoe Mill Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.