NCSU Libraries

View, Flora MacDonald College, Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina

Flora MacDonald College (Red Springs, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
View, Flora MacDonald College, Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Universities and colleges
Original Format:
Color slides; 2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1333pnc002
Architect:
Created Date:
to
Created Date:
Description:
Provenance: Fayetteville Presbytery founded the school as the Red Springs Seminary, and the school was renamed in 1915 for Flora MacDonald, a heroine of the 1770s from southeastern North Carolina. | Architectural Note: The NeoClassical Revival style campus was built in stages and includes a turn of the century central rotunda with encircling balustrades and woodwork. | Historical Note: The college closed in 1961, and is now the Flora MacDonald Academy. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Location:
Red Springs (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Built:
Street:
4744 Buie Philadelphus Rd
Community:
Red Springs
State:
NC
Zip:
28372
Provenance note:
Fayetteville Presbytery founded the school as the Red Springs Seminary, and the school was renamed in 1915 for Flora MacDonald, a heroine of the 1770s from southeastern North Carolina.
Architectural note:
The Neo-Classical Revival style campus was built in stages and includes a turn of the century central rotunda with encircling balustrades and woodwork.
Historical note:
The college closed in 1961, and is now the Flora MacDonald Academy. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Robeson County (N.C.)
Subjects:
Universities and colleges
School buildings
Historic buildings
Revival, Classical (European revival style)
National Historic Landmarks
Latitude, Longitude:
34.73661, -79.144739

✓ Give us feedback