Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- View, Flora MacDonald College, Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Red Springs (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Building: MacDonald, Flora College -- Red Springs Seminary -- Flora MacDonald Academy (Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina)
- Hook, Charles C. (Charles Christian), 1870-1938 more info on Hook, Charles C. (Charles Christian), 1870-1938
- 4744 Buie Philadelphus Rd
- Red Springs
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Fayetteville Presbytery founded the school as the Red Springs Seminary, and the school was renamed in 1915 for Flora MacDonald, a heroine of the 1770s from southeastern North Carolina.
- Architectural note:
- The Neo-Classical Revival style campus was built in stages and includes a turn of the century central rotunda with encircling balustrades and woodwork. The architects provided a more elaborate composition for the college's main building than was actually built.
- Historical note:
- The college closed in 1961, and is now the Flora MacDonald Academy. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Red Springs (N.C.)
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 34.73661, -79.144739