NCSU Libraries

Partial view, Revolution Cotton Mill, Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina

Revolution Cotton Mill (Greensboro, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Partial view, Revolution Cotton Mill, Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Cotton mills
Original Format:
Color slides; 2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1219pnc005
Created Date:
Created Date:
Created Date:
Created Date:
Created Date:
Description:
Provenance: The mill was built by Moses and Ceasar Cone and Emanuel and Herman Sternberger. | Architectural Note: The brick mill is three stories tall with a shallow gable roof. | Historical Note: The original part of the mill was constructed in 1899 and named Revolution for its impact on the Southern textile industry. Revolution Mill was the region's first flannel mill and grew to be the world's largest by the 1930s. The plant was expanded in stages and operated until 1982. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Location:
Greensboro (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Community:
Greensboro
State:
North Carolina
Provenance note:
The mill was built by Moses and Ceasar Cone and Emanuel and Herman Sternberger.
Architectural note:
The brick mill is three stories tall with a shallow gable roof.
Historical note:
The original part of the mill was constructed in 1899 and named Revolution for its impact on the Southern textile industry. Revolution Mill was the region's first flannel mill and grew to be the world's largest by the 1930s. The plant was expanded in stages and operated until 1982. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Greensboro (N.C.)
Subjects:
Cotton mills
Mills and mill-work
Historic buildings
National Register of Historic Places

✓ Give us feedback