NCSU Libraries

Exterior detail, McCulloch Gold Mill, Guilford County, North Carolina

McCulloch Gold Mill (Guilford County, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Exterior detail, McCulloch Gold Mill, Guilford County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Powerhouses
Mills and mill-work
Original Format:
Color slides; 2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1211pnc009
Created Date:
Created Date:
Description:
Provenance: Charles McCulloch was the mill's first owner | Architectural Note: The structure is the state's sole example of an antebellum gold mill engine house and is considered one of the finest antebellum industrial structures in the state. | Historical Note: Abandoned by 1860, the mill was rebuilt from 1985 to 1987 using the original stones. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Photographs
Location:
Guilford County (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

State:
North Carolina
Provenance note:
Charles McCulloch, first owner.
Historical note:
The structure is the state's sole example of an antebellum gold mill engine house, and is considered one of the finest antebellum industrial structures in the state. Abandoned by 1860, the mill was rebuilt from 1985 to 1987 using the original stones. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Guilford County (N.C.)
Subjects:
Industrial buildings
Gold mines and mining
Mills and mill-work
Engines
Antebellum
Historic buildings
National Register of Historic Places

✓ Give us feedback