- Window, Shell Station, Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- This service station was built by the Quality Oil Co. to promote its Shell brand of oil products.
- Architectural note:
- The shell was built around a frame composed of wood and wire in a patented design. The casting and molding done on-site.
- Historical note:
- Of the eight similar structures constructed, this is the only survivor. It has recently been restored and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
National Register of Historic Places
Signs and signboards
Stores & shops