- Front view, Winston-Salem Union Station (Davis Garage), Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Building: Winston-Salem Union Station -- Davis Garage (Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina)
- Fellheimer & Wagner more info on Fellheimer & Wagner
- Northeastern Construction Co. more info on Northeastern Construction Co. (New York, N.Y.)
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The Southern, Norfolk & Western, and Winston-Salem Southbound companies formed the Winston-Salem Terminal Corp. to build this union station.
- Architectural note:
- The Beaux Arts building is composed of steel and concrete and faced with Flemish-bond brick and limestone. It also features a Corinthian portico.
- Historical note:
- In 1975, five years after train service ended, a local mechanic converted the building into an automotive garage and preserved all the original details. Union Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places