- View, W.F. Smith & Sons Leaf House and Brown Brothers Co. (Piedmont Leaf Tobacco Co.), Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Landscape: Piedmont Leaf Tobacco Company -- Piedmont Leaf Lofts (Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina)
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- The Smith & Sons building, constructed in 1890, is a 4 1/2-story building with segmental-arched windows and was home to the company's leaf house and eventually their factory. Across the street is the Brown Brothers building. This structure was constructed circa 1895 and is 5 1/2 stories tall with a mansard roof.
- Historical note:
- The Smith & Sons Leaf House and Brown Brothers Company are virtually all that remain of the tobacco companies that existed in Winston-Salem prior to R.J. Reynolds' consolidation. These buildings have since been converted to loft apartments and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places