- View, Matthewson House, Tarboro, Edgecombe County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Color slides
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- This house was built by George Matthewson, a prominent black builder, as his own home.
- Architectural note:
- The elaborate latticework is an example of the type of decorative elements that once existed on many cottages in the region.
- Historical note:
- The Matthewson House was constructed in the late nineteenth century.
Housing, Single family
African Americans -- History
Decoration and ornament