Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Front view, Chowan County Courthouse, Edenton, Chowan County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- 110-198 E King St
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- The 1767 Chowan County Courthouse is considered one of the finest Georgian public buildings in the southern colonies. A 3.2 million dollar restoration of the courthouse was completed in October 2004. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historical Landmark.
- Architectural note:
- The courthouse is attributed to British architect John Hawks, based on its similarity to Tryon Palace, but no documentation substantiates the attribution. The building contains an assembly room that has been referred to as the largest fully paneled room in the American colonies.
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
National Historic Landmarks
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 36.057738, -76.608449
- External Resources:
National Historic Landmarks Program: Chowan County Courthouse
Chowan County Courthouse National Register Nomination
Chowan County Courthouse National Register Nomination Photographs