NCSU Libraries

Side view with chimney, Kelvin, Pittsboro, Chatham County, North Carolina

Kelvin (Pittsboro, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Side view with chimney, Kelvin, Pittsboro, Chatham County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Federal
Colonial revival (Architecture)
School buildings
Houses
Chimneys
Original Format:
Color slides; 2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1090pnc005
Created Date:
Created Date:
Description:
Provenance: Kelvin was constructed by Colonel Edward Jones, a wealthy landowner. In 1846, when Jones moved, Kelvin was purchased by Dr. Spence McClenahan, a local doctor, politician, and businessman. After the Civil War, his widow sold the house to Claudius B. Denson. | Architectural Note: The two-story Federal-style house has a gable roof, exterior end chimneys, and a circa-1838 one-story addition. The entrance is enhanced by a twentieth century Colonial Revival-style porch. The interior features Federal woodwork. | Historical Note: Kelvin was originally built to house a private girls' school before it became a private home. Kelvin has been destroyed but is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Location:
Pittsboro (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Community:
Pittsboro
Provenance note:
Kelvin was constructed by Colonel Edward Jones, a wealthy landowner. In 1846, when Jones moved, Kelvin was purchased by Dr. Spence McClenahan, a local doctor, politician, and businessman. After the Civil War, his widow sold the house to Claudius B. Denson.
Architectural note:
The two-story Federal-style house has a gable roof, exterior end chimneys, and a circa-1838 one-story addition. The entrance is enhanced by a twentieth century Colonial Revival-style porch. The interior features Federal woodwork.
Historical note:
Kelvin was originally built to house a private girls' school before it became a private home. Kelvin has been destroyed but is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Pittsboro (N.C.)
Subjects:
Houses

✓ Give us feedback