Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- Doorway, Kelvin, Pittsboro, Chatham County, North Carolina
Colonial revival (Architecture)
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Kelvin was constructed by Colonel Edward Jones, a wealthy landowner. In 1846, when Jones moved, Kelvin was purchased by Dr. Spence McClenahan, a local doctor, politician, and businessman. After the Civil War, his widow sold the house to Claudius B. Denson.
- Architectural note:
- The two-story Federal-style house has a gable roof, exterior end chimneys, and a circa-1838 one-story addition. The entrance is enhanced by a twentieth century Colonial Revival-style porch. The interior features Federal woodwork.
- Historical note:
- Kelvin was originally built to house a private girls' school before it became a private home. Kelvin has been destroyed but is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places