- Interior view, auditorium, Claremont High School, Hickory, Catawba County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Sayre, C. Gadsden (Christopher Gadsden), 1876-1933 more info on Sayre, C. Gadsden (Christopher Gadsden), 1876-1933
- 243 3rd Ave NE
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The school was designed by architect C. Gadsen Sayre of Raleigh, N.C. and Anderson, S.C.
- Architectural note:
- This three-story, H-plan building features classical terra-cotta trim on its red brick surface. The two wings, one for the gymnasium and one for the auditorium, are both faced with two-story arcades.
- Historical note:
- Claremont High School was one of the flagships for the state's school consolidation program. The building was recently rescued and converted into an arts center. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
National Register of Historic Places
Wings (Building divisions)
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.735716, -81.334525