NCSU Libraries

View, Odell-Locke-Randolph Mill, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Odell-Locke-Randolph Mill (Concord, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
View, Odell-Locke-Randolph Mill, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Cotton mills
Original Format:
Color slides
Extent:
2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1064pnc002
Created Date:
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Photographs
Location:
Concord (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
RightsStatements.org:
In Copyright
For more information:
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Odell-Locke-Randolph Mill (Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina)

Built:
Community:
Concord
State:
North Carolina
Provenance note:
In 1877, John Milton Odell (of Randolph County, N.C.) purchased, expanded, and rebuilt the mill that was already standing on this site. In 1909, due to financial problems, Odell sold the mill to George W. Watts (of Durham), who rebuilt it and renamed it Locke Cotton Mills. Finally, after the mill failed in the 1930s, Randolph Mills operated the facility until its closure in 1974.
Architectural note:
Surviving features of the mill include: Odell's 1882 three-story addition with a corbeled four-story tower and a single-story portion added in 1899, which includes a three-story tower. The largest surviving section, dating from 1909, is a building 40 bays long with sawtooth skylights and a two-story tower.
Historical note:
The Odell-Locke-Randolph Mill played a large role in Concord's transformation into a leading industrial town. By 1888, the mill was the largest plaid mill in the South. In the 1980s, investors rehabilitated the surviving structures for office and residential uses. The mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Concord (N.C.)
Subjects:
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
Buildings -- Additions
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
Corbels
Cotton mills
Historic buildings
Industrial buildings
Lost architecture
Mills and mill-work
Multiple dwellings
National Register of Historic Places
North Carolina -- History
Offices
Skylights
Towers (Building divisions)